Medication Therapy Management (MTM) is critical for safe and optimal patient care. MTM is a range of services that help patients benefit most from their medications. MTM includes a comprehensive review of all prescription and over-the-counter medications and any herbal supplements the patient is taking. Once this information is obtained, a plan is developed to provide the patient with education and advice to ensure proper medication use. In addition, there is collaboration between the patient and their healthcare team to develop goals for optimal medication therapy.
Table of Contents
BENEFITS OF RECEIVING A MEDICATION THERAPY MANAGEMENT SPECIALTY CERTIFICATE FROM FREECE
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that medication non-adherence results in 30 to 50 percent of failures in chronic disease management. In addition, roughly 125,000 annual deaths can be attributed to patients’ failure to follow their medication instructions. The World Health Organization (WHO) created the Medication Without Harm initiative in response to unsafe medication practices and errors being a leading cause of preventable harm worldwide. The WHO estimated the global cost of medication errors at $42 billion annually.
In 2017, the Use of pharmacy technicians in elements of medication therapy management delivery: A systematic review was published in the Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy (RSAP) journal. The authors concluded that providing standardized training for pharmacy technicians in medication reconciliation could help optimize MTM. That being said, pharmacy technicians need to complete MTM education to provide the best care for their patients.
PTCB Recognized Medication Therapy Management Certification
The Pharmacy Technician Enhanced Training: Medication Therapy Management course is recognized by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). To achieve this recognition, courses are reviewed and are found to provide the learner with foundational knowledge that will help them be successful on PTCB exams. Taking PTCB-recognized courses gives you the peace of mind that you are purchasing a quality product that will benefit your professional practice as a pharmacy technician.
WHAT YOU GET FROM THE PHARMACY TECHNICIAN ENHANCED TRAINING: MEDICATION THERAPY MANAGEMENT COURSE
Our Pharmacy Technician Enhanced Training: Medication Therapy Management course consists of eight modules, including enrollment and service delivery, interviewing techniques, medication list development, claims submission, patient follow-up, and more. This course is customized for pharmacy techs to provide the knowledge needed to serve your patients best.
The Pharmacy Technician Enhanced Training: Medication Therapy Management course presents medication therapy management through straightforward instruction. We make learning the fundamentals of MTM engaging with an expert instructor, industry-specific knowledge, and lessons you can access anywhere, anytime, on any device with internet access.
Our unique approach to pharmacy education has made freeCE the industry standard and a favorite learning resource among pharmacy technicians.
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN ENHANCED TRAINING – MEDICATION THERAPY MANAGEMENT OVERVIEW
- Discover your role in MTM.
- Foundational MTM knowledge.
- Custom modules taught by an expert.
- Made for pharmacy technicians.
- Affordable specialist certificate.
- Instantly downloadable certificate upon completion.
- Earn 9.5 hours of CE. The course meets CE requirements from the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) and the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP).
- The course is accredited by the Accreditation Council For Pharmacy Education (ACPE) and meets all state and national requirements.
- Instant CE reporting to accrediting bodies allows you to apply your hours as soon as you complete the course. Compatible with CPE Monitor from the NABP and CE Broker.
WHAT WILL I LEARN IN THIS COURSE?
MODULE 1 – INTRODUCTION TO MEDICATION THERAPY MANAGEMENT
- Foundational knowledge of the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003 related to Medication Therapy Management programs.
- Define the CMS requirements for offering MTM programs as part of Medicare Part D plans.
- Discuss the populations targeted for MTM services, such as those with multiple chronic diseases or taking multiple medications.
MODULE 2 – MTM ENROLLMENT AND SERVICE DELIVERY
- Explore the CMS requirements for Medicare Part D programs to offer MTM services.
- Introduce the Core Elements of MTM services to provide the learner with the MTM service’s steps.
- Review which MTM service components may be completed by a Pharmacy Technician.
MODULE 3 – CORE ELEMENTS OF MTM SERVICE AND DOCUMENTATION
- Further explore the Core Elements of MTM Service as each element is broken down and discussed in detail.
- Review the documentation requirements for each Core Element.
- Discuss the importance of using patient-friendly terminology.
- Explore examples and practice scenarios guided by the AHRQ Health Literacy Tool for Providers of MTM.
MODULE 4 – MEDICATION REVIEW APPOINTMENT SCHEDULING AND PREPARATION
- Identifying eligible patients for MTM service and scheduling them to receive their respective services.
- Explore how patients are identified within the MTM service billing platforms and when patients can be scheduled for services by pharmacy personnel.
- Identify the appropriate steps for contacting patients to schedule services.
- Review best practices and requirements for the space used for the MTM service appointment.
MODULE 5 – PATIENT INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES AND MEDICATION HISTORY
- Discuss the patient interview and medication history.
- Define key terms such as medication adherence, intolerance, allergy, social history, and medical condition.
- Compare pharmacists’ and pharmacy technicians’ roles in patient interviews and medication history processes.
- Discuss the importance of active listening since, aside from documentation, the pharmacy technician’s role can be very impactful in the medication review.
MODULE 6 – PERSONAL MEDICATION LIST DEVELOPMENT AND PATIENT PROFILE UPDATE
- Developing the Personal Medication List (PML) and updating the patient’s profile during a Comprehensive Medication Review.
- Review required documentation on the PML, including which drugs must be listed.
- Understand the necessity to document medication strengths/dose, dosage forms, routes of administration, frequency and duration of therapy, and drug administration instructions.
- Cover the requirements around documenting all oral and non-oral prescription and non-prescription therapies.
MODULE 7 – MEDICATION-RELATED PROBLEMS AND INTERVENTIONS
- Define common medication-related problems and prescribing errors and explain their impact.
- Explore what information the pharmacist may review to identify interventions and recommendations about the patient’s drug therapy.
- Discuss legal limitations for pharmacy technicians when providing education and counseling to the patient.
MODULE 8 – POST-MEDICATION REVIEW DOCUMENTATION, SUBMISSION, AND FOLLOW-UP
- Discuss how the pharmacist creates the Medication Action Plan (MAP) by compiling information and data gathered throughout the review process and creating intervention claims.
- Focus on claim submissions for Comprehensive and Targeted Medication Reviews, the information required for each type of claim submission, and the importance of having a tracking system throughout the MTM service process.
- Explore potential metrics that can be used to measure the success of a pharmacy’s MTM program.
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE FREE CE
Our unique approach to pharmacology education has made freeCE the industry standard and a favorite learning resource among pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
- Live CE webinars are available multiple times throughout the day, so you can easily complete your required live education programs at home and on your schedule.
- Convenient CE access and on-demand course options. Content is available on your phone, tablet, or computer, allowing you to earn CE wherever you are.
- Credly Badge – Show off your specialty! Use this awesome badge to show what specialties you have on social media. Collect all the Credly Badges with freeCE.
- Live, personal customer support is available via webchat.
Enroll in the Pharmacy Technician Enhanced Training: Medication Therapy Management course today to gain one year of unlimited access to the course and learn the basics of medication therapy management to better help you understand your role in MTM for your patients.